Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Conceptual Portrait

Fancy-pants Andy Samberg, 12x16 Acrylic on board


I really admire artists like CF Payne, Dale Stephanos, Anita Kunz, Tom Richmond, Steve Brodner (& many more) that have the ability to capture the look and character of a person in their portraitures. I enjoy the slight exaggerations that are a bit more subtle and intriguing than the extreme caricatures in political cartoons. Although Steve Brodner's work is more along those lines, I saw his work at an exhibit at the Norman Rockwell museum and I was really impressed.
Some of the first memories I have of trying to be an "artist" as a teenager typically involved me attempting to draw the faces of my siblings or friends. Occasionally I will hear from an old friend and they'll tell me, "Oh I still have that drawing you did of me from way back when!" I seemed to always give my art away since I maybe have 3 or 4 drawings in my possession that I did before I started going to art school. I guess I'm learning to get more attached to my art, although I still go through phases where I can't stand to see my own work. (You'll never see a piece of mine hanging in my house, I would probably stare and obsess over it waaaay too much if I had it sitting in front of my nose all day.)
All that to say, I attempted to do my own caricature of comedian Andy Samberg last semester for a hypothetical conceptual celebrity portrait for a Rolling Stone article. I quite enjoyed the process and also the reaction I got from people. I think I will try it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment